Social A sustainable lifestyle may respond to the actions and opportunities of its environment through which it may then bring about change.
1. The sustainable lifestyle may take heed of the first signs of deterioration in its environment. (Resulting in: Recovery).
2. The sustainable lifestyle may respond naturally to its environment. (Resulting in: Controlled threat).
3. Care should be taken to avoid premature public attention to the maturing work of the sustainable lifestyle. (Resulting in: Unpretentiousness).
4. The strictest reticence is required by the sustainable lifestyle to avoid both the enmity of antagonists and the dangers of misplaced acclaim. (Resulting in: Enthusiasm).
5. The sustainable lifestyle may express its qualities indirectly and discreetly as its actions emerge into prominence. (Resulting in: Solidarity).
6. The sustainable lifestyle may make an inappropriate attempt to take the leading role, thus causing a struggle destructive to all concerned. (Resulting in: Deterioration).
Transformation sequence Initiatives emerging in a receptive environment first experience difficulties. (Resulting in: Initial difficulty).
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential (1986).
this work is licenced under a creative commons licence.