Social Success results from mutual attraction. This may be induced by a vision of superior values whose openness to counsel is a fruitful influence on such relationships.
1. Until the intention of the vision has a visible effect it has no positive or negative influence on society. (Resulting in: Revolution).
2. The vision runs the risk of misfortune if it acts before being impelled to do so by a genuine influence. (Resulting in: Importance).
3. To avoid humiliation, the vision should cultivate restraint in selecting the influences to which it responds and should exercise control on the response itself. (Resulting in: Congregation).
4. The influence of the vision is most successful and widespread when it results from an appreciation of its intentions rather than from a deliberate effort to manipulate some target group. (Resulting in: Obstruction).
5. If the vision's influence is primarily focused on its own actions, such closure to outside influence in turn limits its influence upon society. (Resulting in: Conscientiousness).
6. Any attempt by the vision to influence society through words alone is necessarily insignificant and without consequence. (Resulting in: Withdrawal).
Transformation sequence Influence can only be effective if it endures. (Resulting in: Endurance).
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential (1986).
this work is licenced under a creative commons licence.