Social The effectiveness of action initiated by a sustainable lifestyle is largely dependent on the equanimity with which it is able to assess what is required. A sustainable lifestyle should be able to pause before action is required.
1. By pausing before action has been initiated, the sustainable lifestyle avoids mistakes although it runs the risk of irresoluteness. (Resulting in: Style).
2. By ceasing to act, the sustainable lifestyle may avoid a disaster into which those it supports are drawn, without however being able to assist them. (Resulting in: Remedial action).
3. Enforced inaction will not induce in the sustainable lifestyle the tranquillity required to envisage appropriate initiatives. (Resulting in: Deterioration).
4. The ability of the sustainable lifestyle to restrain its impulsive responses is valuable, even through this does not prevent it from being perturbed by doubts and restlessness. (Resulting in: Marginality).
5. In contrast to occasional well-formulated statements, injudicious pronouncements by the sustainable lifestyle can have regrettable consequences. (Resulting in: Development).
6. The sustainable lifestyle may achieve a continuing quality of tranquillity from which it can respond appropriately to all demands made upon it. (Resulting in: Unpretentiousness).
Transformation sequence Inaction cannot continue indefinitely, thus at some stage development commences. (Resulting in: Development).
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential (1986).
this work is licenced under a creative commons licence.