Social Faced with a challenge for which it is not fully competent, a sustainable community of superior values can best succeed by acting with extreme prudence and attention to detail, especially in support of those not in a position of influence.
1. The sustainable community should employ conventional measures whenever possible, avoiding the depletion of resources and the risk of failure associated with extraordinary measures. (Resulting in: Prosperity).
2. Under exceptional circumstances the sustainable community may best succeed through extreme restraint and conscientious fulfilment of its obligations. (Resulting in: Endurance).
3. Exceptional circumstances require that the sustainable community pay attention to details through which it may learn of dangers that otherwise it would be unable to avoid. (Resulting in: Enthusiasm).
4. Under certain circumstances the sustainable community should refrain from action until a more opportune moment, rather than render itself vulnerable to dangers through persisting in its own initiatives. (Resulting in: Unpretentiousness).
5. In exceptional circumstances the isolated sustainable community, able to bring about order in society, should seek assistance from others on the basis of their genuine achievements rather than their claims to fame. (Resulting in: Influence).
6. If the sustainable community fails to exercise self-discipline at a time when attention to detail is required, it is unlikely to be successful in its initiative. (Resulting in: Marginality).
Transformation sequence Conscientiousness ensures the accomplishment of initiatives. (Resulting in: Accomplishment).
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential (1986).
this work is licenced under a creative commons licence.