Metaphor (I Ching) Index Page
Equivalent condition for: Dialogue
Previous conference condition
Circular conferencing map: top-out
Transformative conference #64
Transformation threshold (Wei Chi)
Metaphors: Anticipating completion / Preparing for change
Social When all has been prepared for transition to a new order
that can transform a fragmented condition of society, a transformative
conference should act with deliberation and caution to determine how the
available resources can best be applied to achieve the desired effect.
1. As a response to the prevailing lack of order, the transformative
conference may act prematurely in order to achieve something tangible,
thus increasing the risk of failure. (Resulting in: Opposition).
2. The transformative conference should develop its own resources so
that they are adequate to the task, but should refrain from using them
until the time is ripe. (Resulting in: Progress).
3. At the moment for transition, the transformative conference may lack
the resources to complete the task as required, in which case qualified
assistance should be obtained. (Resulting in: Cultural
4. During the struggle to bring about the transition and overthrow the
old order, the transformative conference should avoid doubt and lay the
foundation for the future. (Resulting in: Inexperience).
5. Justifying its efforts, the transformative conference may succeed
in its struggle so that superior values become explicit in the envisaged
order and the influence it has on society, especially in contrast to that
which preceded it. (Resulting in: Conflict).
6. On the threshold of the new era convivial celebration is appropriate,
but the transformative conference should take care not to lose its self-control
and thus jeopardize what could be achieved. (Resulting in: Liberation).
Transformation sequence Further transformation calls for creativity.
(Resulting in: Creativity).
/ Next conference condition
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia
of World Problems and Human Potential (1986)