Metaphor (I Ching) Index Page
Equivalent condition for: Dialogue
Previous community condition
Circular dialoguing map: top-out
Sustainable community #64
Transformation threshold (Wei Chi)
Metaphors: Anticipating completion / Preparing for change
Social When all has been prepared for transition to a new order
that can transform a fragmented condition of society, a sustainable community
should act with deliberation and caution to determine how the available
resources can best be applied to achieve the desired effect.
1. As a response to the prevailing lack of order, the sustainable community
may act prematurely in order to achieve something tangible, thus increasing
the risk of failure. (Resulting in: Opposition).
2. The sustainable community should develop its own resources so that
they are adequate to the task, but should refrain from using them until
the time is ripe. (Resulting in: Progress).
3. At the moment for transition, the sustainable community may lack
the resources to complete the task as required, in which case qualified
assistance should be obtained. (Resulting in: Cultural
4. During the struggle to bring about the transition and overthrow the
old order, the sustainable community should avoid doubt and lay the foundation
for the future. (Resulting in: Inexperience).
5. Justifying its efforts, the sustainable community may succeed in
its struggle so that superior values become explicit in the envisaged order
and the influence it has on society, especially in contrast to that which
preceded it. (Resulting in: Conflict).
6. On the threshold of the new era convivial celebration is appropriate,
but the sustainable community should take care not to lose its self-control
and thus jeopardize what could be achieved. (Resulting in: Liberation).
Transformation sequence Further transformation calls for creativity.
(Resulting in: Creativity).
/ Next community condition
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia
of World Problems and Human Potential (1986)