Metaphor (I Ching) Index Page
Equivalent condition for: Dialogue
Previous network condition
Circular networking map: top-out
Transformation threshold (Wei Chi)
Metaphors: Anticipating completion / Preparing for change
Social When all has been prepared for transition to a new order
that can transform a fragmented condition of society, a network should
act with deliberation and caution to determine how the available resources
can best be applied to achieve the desired effect.
1. As a response to the prevailing lack of order, the network may act
prematurely in order to achieve something tangible, thus increasing the
risk of failure. (Resulting in: Opposition).
2. The network should develop its own resources so that they are adequate
to the task, but should refrain from using them until the time is ripe.
(Resulting in: Progress).
3. At the moment for transition, the network may lack the resources
to complete the task as required, in which case qualified assistance should
be obtained. (Resulting in: Cultural heritage).
4. During the struggle to bring about the transition and overthrow the
old order, the network should avoid doubt and lay the foundation for the
future. (Resulting in: Inexperience).
5. Justifying its efforts, the network may succeed in its struggle so
that superior values become explicit in the envisaged order and the influence
it has on society, especially in contrast to that which preceded it. (Resulting
6. On the threshold of the new era convivial celebration is appropriate,
but the network should take care not to lose its self-control and thus
jeopardize what could be achieved. (Resulting in: Liberation).
Transformation sequence Further transformation calls for creativity.
(Resulting in: Creativity).
/ Next network condition
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia
of World Problems and Human Potential (1986)