Environment of the Union of International Associations
- / -
Section of Report
of a Preliminary Investigation of the Possibility of Using Computer Data
Processing Methods (1968).
A summary of the various parts of
this report, and details
of its contents (with links to the various
parts), are provided separately
The problems and potential
of the UIA can only be understood against
the background of the environment within which it operates and with
which it is actively concerned in its programs. The main feature of
this environment is the organized complexity of relationships between
many types of organizations.
- In the first section below an attempt has
been made to clarify the major features of the world system in the most
general manner possible.
- In the second section the particular group
of organizations of which the UIA forms a part, is considered in greater
- In the third section the actual role of the UIA is considered
in the light of its objectives and activities to date, prior to the
next part in which these activities are themselves analyzed in detail.
In this way it is hoped to clarify the objectives of the UIA in terms
of its environment.
In the first section the environment is considered in very general
terms for the following reasons:
- the major features and the relations between them are very rarely
treated together in any concise form since each is the domain of
a different category of specialist. There is therefore much confusion
in the terminology. This is discussed below.
- the UIA does not possess a general description of
factors in its environment and needs this to:
- clearly establish the interrelationships between the areas it
is studying, promoting, and documenting and to be able to
visualize for itself the background against which it operates.
- be in a position to provide a broad descriptive background to
the UIA's own activities which can be used to relate the UIA
to the diverse organizations with which it has to deal
- highlight significant areas in the environment on which the
UIA might wish to concentrate its efforts to further interest
in its broader objectives, or accelerate processes in tune with
- clarify areas which might develop into markets for the UIA's publications
or ideas and to act as a guide to its advertising and promotion activities.