Social A sustainable lifestyle can only influence others effectively
when its external initiatives are consistent with its own internal mode
of organization. A community context is most favourable to this.
1. Within the sustainable lifestyle a measure of discipline is necessary
in order that each member learns to fulfil his or her own function to enable
the sustainable lifestyle to undertake external initiatives successfully.
(Resulting in: Development).
2. The sustainable lifestyle should concentrate on 'keeping its own
house in order' rather than undertaking initiatives based on force. (Resulting
in: Subtle restraint).
3. In disciplining itself the sustainable lifestyle should seek a careful
mean between the excesses of indulgence and severity, although under exceptional
conditions the latter may be necessary. (Resulting in: Assistance).
4. In manifesting its principles in a role of stewardship, the sustainable
lifestyle contributes significantly to the well-being of society. (Resulting
5. The character of the principles governing the sustainable lifestyle
may be such that no disciplinary action is required to achieve the necessary
effects (Resulting in: Style).
6. The quality of the achievements engendered by the principles of the
sustainable lifestyle is the fundamental force holding it together. (Resulting
Transformation sequence When the community context proves inadequate,
misunderstandings and opposition arise. (Resulting in: Opposition).
vision condition / Next vision condition
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia
of World Problems and Human Potential (1986)